Monday, May 02, 2005

A Pastor's Dilemma...

I have to make a confession. No, nothing serious, but just a dilemma that I find myself in that I need to address, even if it is just on this site. You see, I love what I do (no, that's not a confession). I love the people that come to The Journey, I love those that God has given me to minister to, I love ministering and preaching and leading - I love what I do through and through, through good and bad.

However, I have a quandary. I have had many of you give me items to watch, listen, read, etc. I love learning new things, and I love studying and teaching, but quite honestly, I have to limit the amount of studying that I do - specifically in light of the fact that my brain needs breaks and my family needs my focus when I am not working. My workdays consist of studying for messages and Bible study, planning for activities, counseling, visiting, church planning, research, and many miscellaneous activities. By the time I get to the end of my day, my family time kicks in, and I don't read or watch or listen to church-related materials. I give my brain a daily break if possible.

All that said, I apologize to several of you who have given me things to read or watch or listen to, as I have not yet looked at the materials. Please don't take it personally. What I would like to propose is that if you would like me to view or read something with you, please let's make a time to discuss and review stuff together. I prefer to get together and converse rather just receive materials to read at my convenience. Honestly, it will probably take me awhile unless I am specifically studying for a lesson or message that the materials deal with that would assist me in my research.

I hope this doesn't come across snobbish or as seeming that what you are passionate about is not worthy of my attention - not at all. I just have to guard my time and really focus in my sermon studies - which for me means keeping my attention and mind on one track. Thank you for entrusting me with the job of being your pastor.

No comments: