Sunday, May 01, 2005

Sunday, May 1, 2005

You know, it's funny. There are times where when I preach I have a great story or illustration to push home a point. And then there are times when I don't have any kind of great story of illustration - I just have the plain truth and preach it as such. This isn't a bad thing, but there is something to be said for a great illustration that really hits a point home (remember the lady with the bloodsucking leech and releasing the lifesucking things that attach themselves to us?). Today, I had the truth (which is great) - the spiritually poor are joyful because they receive the joy of God's presence - but no great illustration. But I felt it preached well, and I am excited about the next 8 weeks (except for May 15th) as we go through the 8 characteristics of the joyful life - the 8 Beatitudes - Experiencing the Joy of Jesus.

Both services went well. I was a little offset by some distractions during the worship that I will address, but I hope that we as a church will commit ourselves to really being prepared to worship every week, that we will lay aside the distractions and focus on God. Sometimes we are there, sometimes we are not. But I believe that as a church, we can be ready EVERY week to worship.

We had 96 in both services, and we still had many people who were not with us. We have been hovering around 100 for the past several weeks, but I believe that we should be more near the 110 mark. God has been so good, and I get to converse with many people this week, including two that raised their hand for salvation last week. We had another person pray with me for the first time today that she allowed Christ to come into her life. I am so glad that God gives me the opportunity to lead people to the Lord almost weekly.

Honestly, I count it an honor and a privilege to pastor and do what I do. Thank you for entrusting me to lead. Another good weekend of services at The Journey - I can't wait until this church splits wide open and the Holy Spirit moves like we have not witnessed before. Holy Spirit, please rain down...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was a church in the book of revelation that did not realize that they were poor,blind and naked.They were instructed by the lord to go and buy eyesalve so that they could see their own need.
The state of spiritual poverty does not guarantee joy,but the recognition of that state, which comes (once again) by the Spirit of the Lord. In Isaiah chapter 6, when he had an encounter with the Lord his first response was: woe is me,for I am a man of unclean lips and dwell among a people of unclean lips" The recognition of his actual spiritual state came to light with his meeting with The Lord. It was after that response of repentence that the angel of the Lord touched his lips with a coal from the altar of incense (which is the altar of praise) and the next thing you know is he's telling God " here I am ,send me".
I too am excited about the up coming words from the Lord on experiencing the joy of Jesus. Experience being the key word.I so pray for the Journey that the Lord would be gracious to us and reveal to us our true state before Him.If we hear the word only, it says that we deceive "ourselves" ! wow!That's frightening. "God we press in to know you" and to walk in the words that you are speaking" Joy is also a fruit of the Spirit and in His presence is fullness of joy. Bless you Rob as you seek the Lord for His next word to His flock.