Sunday, May 08, 2005

Sunday, May 8, 2005

Mother's Day at The Journey was a good day. We had 94 in attendance, and the people in both services were ready to worship. We introduced a new song today call Indescribable, a great song giving praise to the Creator and expressing joy through all He does. The preaching this morning was tough for me to deliver, as I talked about the fact that we are "Blessed Beyond the Curse" and what the 2nd Beatitude (God blesses those who mourn) has to do with joy. Honestly, it was a tough sermon to preach on Mother's Day, as I spoke on being sorrowful over our sin. But I felt that it was needed, as we need to investigate our lives and seek out the sin that sets us apart from God.

Admittedly, this weekend was tough on me. I have been hit hard by the spiritual struggles of some in our church - marital problems and spiritual problems - and it just hits me harder at times than others. I love all the people that God has entrusted into my care, and I just pray for victory in their lives. For some reason, this weekend was just more difficult for me than other weeks have been for this reason.

I am also a little frustrated over one thing that I would like to address with our church. We split to two services in March, and we have been right around 100 ever since (in the 90's the last four weeks), but I am seeing a consistent pattern of a portion of our congregation missing every week. And it is not the same people - it's just some here, some there. I find myself saying all the time "If we would have had everyone here, we would have had 120!" I hate saying that. With all the prep that goes on with me and with teachers and with the praise team for two services, we ought to be filling both services up consistently and making The Journey Church services what they are capable of being. If you aren't there, a part is missing, and you miss something.

I would love if we as a collective whole would make a commitment, especially with summer coming up, that we will not miss a Sunday morning (exceptions aside) as it is our ONE time to worship together and receive the Word together. I would like us to just show more commitment in this, and let's blow out both services LIKE WE ARE CAPABLE OF! People are attracted to growth and energy and excitement. When we are only 75%, we are missing chunk of potential! Please pray for this. The Journey cannot be an effective house of worship and praise if the people don't get together.

Today was a good day. I was dissappointed with the turnout as we were missing at least 25 people, but I know that the Lord worked and people repented and mourned over their sin and received comfort. I pray that the Lord will FILL our services, and that this summer will be all about increase in worship, spiritually, and numerically. I love the people in this church so much, and I look forward to sharing what the Lord has given me every week. Let's commit together, Journey - let's refuse lethargy and get moving together! I love you all.

No comments: