Friday, December 24, 2004

Candle Light Service - Wednesday, December 22, 2004

A tradition that we have adopted here at The Journey is the annual Candle Light service. This service is a family event with no childcare, meant for the whole family to focus on Jesus Christ and what He has done for us together. Last year (2003) we had 25. This year we had 65.

The service is not meant to entertain, but rather meant to invite people to ponder and dwell on the love of God in sending His Son. We had several people do readings (me, Pastor Rod, Heather Branch, Lee Thompson), sang many Christmas carols, and did some congregational readings from Isaiah 9 and Matthew 5. Then before getting candles, I asked everyone to fill out a little slip of paper that was being handed out. The paper said, "This year I give to God..." and then there were blanks to fill in. We so often come to God asking, and this was an opportunity to come to God giving. So after the slips were filled out, everyone came forward, dropped their "gifts" into the offering plate, and then took a candle.

The "gifts" were moving as I read through them. What I want to do is (with no names used) record down what the slips of paper said. They are in no particular order, and there is a mixture of kids and adults (I have preserved the spelling to exactly what they wrote). Here goes:

This year I give to God...
dedacation and more attention
time
my hope and patience in difficult situations that I might act properly
my will and my full attention
nice stuff and (be) a nice kid
more time in prayer and bible reading
more time for & with Him
control in my life, all love and faith!
my unconditional trust and my unconditional love, my life and my willingness to believe and turn things over to Your grace.
more time in prayer.
my love, and myself, my spirit
my marriage & carreer
a new beginning relationship wise!
a relanshonship
my worry and stress
my life
control. I want to live my life in a Godly way & put aside my old ways & live as a true Christian. I will follow you because You died for me.
all of my negativity and my mean ways. To help me be a better person.
my heart
a new understanding
My life is Yours God I love you with all my heart
My time
My life or at least I'll try and pray for that...
My heart
My heart
My whole life and work in the Spirit not the flesh.
My leadership
my stress.
more of my time.
more time - more worship - putting my husband 2nd, not last.
complete control of my life
my trust, my pain and my attention.
My finances - my marriage - my family
all of my sins
my family
My life.
my full and complete trust, love, and life. To be used as he sees fit.
my art talent
my undying faithfulness
my time - @ least an hour today
I wot (want) to give love (and I) want to give to you my love
a relationship & my gifts & talents:
anger, children, husband
my financial stress
wish to be open with others

Forty-five different people, 45 different gifts...may God be honored not only by the presentation of our gifts, but may He be honored by our determination to truly turn these things over to Him.

No comments: