Sunday, July 04, 2004

July 4, 2004

You know, I recently logged in my journal that church planting is not for wimps. I continue to believe that. But what I find myself really despising sometimes is my inactivity - I feel I always could be doing more, leading more, motivating more.

I was really encouraged the other day by a post on a pastor's message list. I needed to be reminded of the fact that every ministry has sowing and reaping - and that right now, we are in sowing mode. Cool. No problem - but I am so glad I got the reminder - you have no idea how I needed to hear it.

Here are some things we are trying to get our name out in the community, and to give
back to our community.
1) We sent a team of people to the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life back in mid-June - and we gave away 200 bottles of water for free (everyone else was selling stuff) - and the bottles had a card with our logo and a little note that said "You looked like you were thirsty, so here is a drink from us to show you God's love in a
practical way." It went across very well.

2) Tonight, we set up a booth at our city's fireworks festival, and we promoted our VBS and did free face-painting. Again, the face painting was free, and we had kids FLOCKING for the FREE facepaint - seriously, we face painted at least 100 kids over the course of 5 hours...praise God! Got to talk to many parents.

3) We will follow that up by handing out 3000 doorhangers this week in a few surrounding neighborhoods inviting them to VBS and to church.

4) Next Saturday, we are doing a totally free car wash - no donations accepted. In the beginning of August, we will follow up with a free vacuum and windexing day.

The conversations that we have begun by people within a mile of our church who haven't yet responded to our previous flyers has been tremendous. Our church folks have been excited about getting to know people and telling them about The Journey, and we are praying for a harvest. One guy I talked to at the Relay for life said no one had ever invited him to church before - and he lives 2 miles up the road! Lord, use us!

You know what? People respond to kindness that comes without a hitch. It is encouraging to see it begin to work. Time to quit talking about doing, and just do. If you haven't tried anything like this, my ideas have come from Steve Sjogren and his books dealing with servant evangelism. I still don't have it down completely, but I am grateful for the opportunity to give it a shot and see the church do and the community respond. I will let you know what happens as a result of these endeavors as time goes by.

No comments: