Wednesday, September 28, 2005

September 25, 2005

For the final week of Experiencing the Hope of Jesus, I wanted to preach a message different than I have preached before - no handouts, no powerpoint, and freedom to daydream. Why? Because we were talking about heaven, and there is no way to adequately describe the joys and wonder of heaven, I didn't want our imaginations to be held to words or images. I don't know how successful I was at getting my point accross, but even the Apostle John in Revelation is left to use similes and metaphors when describing the things he sees. So perhaps it is best that rather than telling what heaven is like, maybe I could give a glimpse of how absolutely unimagineable it is. I used the songs Imagine by John Lennon and I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me to demonstrate the point.

I was moved when our congregation began lifting their voices during I Can Only Imagine. I almost couldn't sing, as I felt the presence of God draw near as we drew near to Him. I so long for our congregation to experience this movement of God regularly.

A highlight of our Sunday was baptizing three people - Veronica and Kregg Gauthier, and Silas Thompson (see pictures below). I am always glad to witness people follow the Lord in this area. I pray for each person, that the Lord will grow and mature them in Christ.

It was a good day at the Journey, with an attendance of 95 and a good spirit.

No comments: